Visa United States - San Francisco

Always contact the embassy or consulate of the United States in your home country for information on all visa matters.

A visa for the United States is a document, a stamp or a sticker in your passport that shows that you are authorized to enter or leave the United States.

A US visa is subjective to permission for entering or leaving the United States from an immigration official at the time of the actual entry into the United States. A visa is issued by the US embassy or consulate in your home country.

Some persons from certain countries do not require a visa for the United States, such as when certain countries have reciprocal visa treaty arrangements with the US.

A visa always has various conditions of stay such as for example the dates of validity, maximum period of stay, purpose of visit and amount of visits, etc.

A visa application in advance at one of the US embassies or consulates around the world gives the government a chance to consider your circumstance, such as reason for applying, details of previous visits to the United States and financial security.

Visa Service

Sometimes a visa can be applied for through a visa service company which specialized in the issuance of visas and other international travel documents.

When this is the case the US embassy or consulate in your home country can inform you about the possibilities to use such an authorized visa service company.

In the case that there is no US embassy or consulate in your home country you have to travel to a neighboring country which does have an embassy or consulate of the United States and try to apply for your visa there.

In some countries and in some cases it is also possible to apply per mail.

General Visa Information – Not specific to United States

Types of Visa
You will find different kind and categories of visas in countries around the globe. The most common visas include:
Transit visa - Limited and short time visa for passing through a country to a destination outside that country.
Short-stay visa - For short visits or holiday. Sub catagories can be:

- Tourist visa: for the purpose of tourisme, holidays and leisure travel.
- Business visa: for conducting trade & business.
- Private visa: for the purpose of private visits by invitation from private residents of the country you are visiting.
- Medical Visa: for the purpose if medical treatment in a hospital.
Long-stay visa - For longer but still finite stays. Sub catagories are:

- Marriage visa: for civil partnership or marriage.
- Retirement visa: for retiring.
- Student visa: for study and school.
- Residence visa: for obtaining long-term residence.
- Immigrant visa: for immigration to the issuing country.
- Spousal visa or partner visa: for the partner or spouse to be settle as a couple.
- Temporary worker visa: for approved temporary employment.
- Journalist visa: for work as a journalist.
Official visa - A visa for officials who are working for or representing their government and home country such for example for personnel of diplomatic missions.

Visa - Entry and duration period
The duration of a visa can be for multiple entries or for a single-entry. Some countries sometimes also issue re-entry permits. With a re-entry permit you can temporarily leave the country without invalidating your current visa.

For all specific information on visa matters, please inquire the consulate or embassy by contacting them directly by email or telephone call. provides general information about the foreign consulates in San Francisco and has no affiliation with any of the featured consulates mentioned on it’s website.
Disclaimer - Privacy Policy